Phyllis and the Aliens (Renatta and Rosalie Pettibone) are all kittens adopted from the Humane Society of Pierce County via the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee. Phyllis was born on October 27, 2007, while the Aliens were born on May 16, 2008.

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cat's Who Chew On Crucifixes: Iconoclasm or Mysticism?

Throughout our time together my goal has been to clearly explain the circumstances that led to my current awkward situation. It has probably become painfully obvious that I am not a "cat person". It is not always easy being caretaker and confidante to three four legged ciphers, especially against one's will. Three factors were working to prepare me for the difficult task ahead. First my father, a stoic of sorts but prone to fits of temper. The second factor was my mother, a martyr of sorts but prone to fits of giggling. The third factor involved a stranger who spoke no English. He shared this bit of wisdom with me, "Arriba ya del caballo, hay que aguantar los respingos." Whenever the three mischief makers seem to be getting the upper hand that old proverb gives me the boost I need.

Woody Allen said, "I know a lot about art, but I just don't know what I like". This roughly describes my spiritual life up til the time the two kittens joined Phyllis. Now don't think that this is in anyway a reflection on the Trinity. Feathers can be ruffled and feelings hurt when Trinitarian terminology is taken lightly. As you no doubt remember there was quite a dust up regarding the Holy Spirit around 1000 A.D. Was the Holy Spirit descended through the Son or from the Son? Now for these folks the answer to this question determined how you would spend eternity. Today it seems people struggle to find something to do on a rainy afternoon that doesn't bore them. The bloom has gone off the rose of eternity, you might say. As for me the final straw was the sacking of Constantinople in 1203. I am Irish after all and an 800 year grudge is a cinch. Don't just say your sorry about sacking the city. You have to mean it! Now I'm mad all over again.

Simply put, the arrival of the little ones gave me a new dilemma. Phyllis was being raised a Catholic. Her chewing on crucifixes didn't start till the little ones got here. Hold off on judging her just yet while we dissect the situation with regard to Renatta. She dabbled in VooDoo, this much was clear. Youthful indiscretion I later decided. As a Siamese American was she gazing Eastward for guidance? Shintoism seemed like a good fit. Then she began vocalizing intently for no apparent reason, especially in front of closed doors where she was not welcome. Shazam! She was half Unitarian, half Jehovah's witness. She was persistent in the face of a closed door, that explained the Witness in her background. When you opened the door however she had nothing to say, at least nothing that made sense. This was her Unitarian side. Suddenly I understood that scene in The Miracle Worker when Patty Duke quits acting up. Subsequently she is sent back into a tail-spin when her identical cousin shows up. But you already knew that.

Next week Phyllis goes Eucharistic and Rosalie comes along and hopes for an old fashioned all you can eat loaves and fishes buffet!
Share/Save/Bookmark