Phyllis and the Aliens (Renatta and Rosalie Pettibone) are all kittens adopted from the Humane Society of Pierce County via the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee. Phyllis was born on October 27, 2007, while the Aliens were born on May 16, 2008.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Please define an addiction...

I'm SO sorry for being such a bad, bad kitty blogger. I hate it when people say, "I was going to call, but I've been SO busy" and of course you have to so, "Oh, I know, me too!" So, I won't say that. What I will say is that I've developed a new addiction! Good news, eh? (from Maine, so sometimes the "near-Canadian" in me comes through with "eh")

"So, Richard, what's your new addiction? Is it burning illegal software? Is it drinking even MORE than you ever did? Please tell us it's a fun drug!" Well, I heard your questions and I'm hear to say... it's Twitter, or "Micro-Blogging" as some refer to it. I'm astounded by it. I'm entranced by it. It follows me around and I love it. It's there when I get up, it's there when I go to bed.... it's just great!

As with most addictions you quickly realize what's going on, yet it's too fun or enticing to stop or even publicly acknowledge you have a problem (don't ask me why I'd know that or where I learned it). And like most addictions you KNOW there are draw backs, but there are SO many positives to keep you going!

Let's compare to something I know most of you experience, alcohol addiction (if you read a lot about kittens... and you do... then you likely drink lots of wine in the evenings by yourself or while your husband is locked up in the garage on some stupid project). So, with your alcohol addiction perhaps you always seem to end up at your favorite bar because all your "friends" are there (none of whom you know the last name of).

This problem is very similar to one of my Twitter "symptoms". I know "twit", not people! Although I'm "TOTALLY SURE" I feel like I really know them! Actually, I still stick by that story! I really do feel like I'm developing real personal relationships with my followers. I interact with them. I know they listen when I need to, I trust their opinions for fun trivia (any of this sound familiar, like your bar friends???).

So, the draw backs to your alcohol... that husband in the garage? The one "working on the project in the garage" doesn't exist any more because you spent more time with your bar friends than with him. He used to exist. But he just never understood your relationship with those bar friends. (I pray this is an inaccurate portrayal of your addiction, but if it does please forgive me)

Any idea how this could be similar to my Twitter addiction? It's always running in the background. There's always a conversation going on... that conversation might be going on for several days in VERY short spurts. Anyway, so these aren't even personal conversations, these can actually be considered professional in nature!

So, anyway, you can picture how bad it can be. I'm an addict! Just admitting it won't keep me from doing it, but it is the first step to adapting to ways of working around the perceived "bad things" and enhancing the "positives". Help me!!!

Another entry coming VERY SOON! And it will be about kitties!

(If you're on Twitter and/or would like to see what I discuss follow me at http://twitter.com/LegalAdmin)
Share/Save/Bookmark