Phyllis and the Aliens (Renatta and Rosalie Pettibone) are all kittens adopted from the Humane Society of Pierce County via the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee. Phyllis was born on October 27, 2007, while the Aliens were born on May 16, 2008.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Why wasn't Lassie a Cat ?

(Post by Matt) I'm not old really, except in gay years. Still the world has changed considerably in the last 4 or so decades. Growing up was a process quite a bit more, let's say, less structured. Kids like me had a lot of time on our hands. So unlike kids today we didn't waste it texting or playing video games. We were much more imaginative. We watched television. When remotes first came around my Dad couldn't see the need. "That's why I had kids" he'd say. Frankly it was the first time he offered a plausible explanation for why he kept us around...and the last.

One show in particular aroused my interest. And my ire. Lassie was a dog who weekly performed amazing rescues. "What's the matter girl?" someone would say. Invariably the message being conveyed was that Timmy was down a well. Or maybe trapped in the old abandoned mine. Timmy was a lot of things but risk averse wasn't one of them. Everyone marveled at Lassie's predictably heroic actions and welcomed Timmy back like the Prodigal Son. Where were the social workers for pete's sake! I mean who let's a dog babysit a kid! After the first mine cave-in, didn't anyone think it wise to keep a closer eye on the little daredevil!? I guess not. ONE WEEK later he was down the well! One question gnawed at me. Why didn't they get a cat? That dog was terrible at keeping the kid in line and brought bushels of bad luck. Maybe a cat could've turned this mess around. "For crying out loud" the cat would implore-"fill in that well and board up that mine before somebody breaks their ever lovin' neck!" Tragically, necks were risked because of the inability to recognize the wisdom of cats.

It bears mentioning that since I have kept company with cats I haven't fallen down a well or been trapped in a mine. Case closed collie!
Share/Save/Bookmark